I know from my own perspective that “teaching” from home has not been as easy as working with someone face to face. I know that we are all doing the best we can to make the most out of this tough situation and I thought I’d post something to help those of you who are parents trying to work from home AND help your kiddos with their school work!!
Since we’re all being affected by COVID – 19 in one way or another, I thought I’d share out some resources for all the parents out there who need a little help! Below are my favorite resources that are currently offering free subscriptions or have always/will always be free to use! Ps. NONE of this is sponsored! Just some things I have used for years or have recently fallen in love with!
Want more!? I’m sharing my personal Pinterest boards here for MakerSpace activities and STEAM challenges! Again, nothing on this Pinterest board is sponsored, but are ideas that I thought were interesting! Also stay tuned as I may just coming here in the next few weeks with at home, safe, kitchen science experiments!
BRAINPOP + BRAINPOP JR (K-12): One of my favorite sites of all time for educational videos! There are TONS of videos ranging in topics and subjects! They are fun and very educational. Most videos come with games, test your knowledge quizzes and worksheets! They also have BrainPop ELL for those who are learning English. They are currently offering free family subscriptions because of the pandemic! Check it out here
Explore Learning: This is my ALL time favorite resource for science interactives and virtual labs! I used it ALL THE TIME when teaching middle school science as their gizmos are unmatched! Not only are they opening up their gizmos (math and science interactives/explorations) but they also opened up Reflex Math and Science4Us! All of these resources are free for 60 days! Check it out here
- Gizmos: Math and science interactives, labs and explorations for grades 3-12! I SWEAR BY THESE! The worksheets guide students through explorations in an inquiry-based way.
- Reflex: Grades 2-6 Math games to practice math facts and fluency. Completely adaptive and adjusts to students needs and growth. Very similar to Dreambox if you are familiar!
- Science4Us: K-2 Science explorations! Science activities take no more than 10 minutes.
Wide Open School by Common Sense Media: A new source that is truly AMAZING! When you visit the site you can click on “We’re a Family” and then choose your age range. They have 15 topics to select from including the ones listed below! Check them out here!
- Daily Schedule: Activities for each part of the day
- Emotional Well Being: calm down activities, get outside and explore activities, yoga for kids and more!
- Arts, Music + DIY: Makerspaces at home activities!
- Core Subjects: Math, Science (experiments in your kitchen!), Social Studies, Reading & Writing
- Field Trip: Virtual field trips!
- Get Moving
- Life Skills: Think laundry, helpful chores and more!
Raising Dragons: I just found this site while browsing Pinterest and I LOVE it! It has TONS of DIY crafts, STEAM activities and experiments for kiddos at home! They have all their activities organized by age (youngest two) and everything is safe, fun and easy to do at home with basic materials! If you’re struggling to keep your kids busy and away from the TV and screens, try checking out these hands-on activities! Check them out here!
Have FUN and let me know if you need any help! Remember that you’re doing the best you can and nothing about this is normal! It won’t look or feel perfect but if you’re trying then that’s all that matters!